Erie Insurance Overview and Key Takeaways
Erie is a strong provider if you’re looking for effective auto insurance. Operating in 12 states as well as Washington, DC, customer satisfaction ratings are high, while there are fewer complaints than you’d expect, too.
- Lock in your rates for auto insurance
- Fewer complaints than expected
- High levels of customer satisfaction
3.0 out of 5.0 stars
Erie Insurance: Services
Extras from Erie include the following, but are not available in all states:
- Accident forgiveness: If you have been an Erie customer for 3 years, your first accident won’t cause your rates to rise
- Pet injury coverage: Get up to $500 per pet to a maximum of $1000 if you need to pay for veterinary care after an accident
- Travel expenses: Covered for up to $75 per passenger for food and accommodation if you have an accident away from home
If you buy comprehensive coverage with Erie, you get the following extras:
- Locksmith service: If you lock your keys in the car, you’re covered for up to $75
- Glass repair: Windshield replacement comes with a free set of wiper blades. You won’t need to pay a deductible either
- Personal items: Personal items are covered to $350 if they are damaged in an auto accident
Erie offers the Auto Plus package for $30 annually ($25 in North Carolina). Benefits vary from state to state but include the following:
- Car rental: Benefit from 10 days of extra rental car coverage after an accident
- Disappearing deductible: Each claim-free year, your deductible decreases by $100 to a maximum of $500
- High limits: Some coverage like locksmith services give you improved coverage
- Death benefit: Get up to $10,000 per person if someone dies in an auto accident
- Waived deductible: If you hit your garage door and your home is also insured by Erie, pay only one deductible with the Auto Plus package
You can also get the following optional extras including:
- Rate lock
- New car protection
- Better car protection
- Rideshare coverage
Erie Insurance: Rating
Erie insurance scores 5 out 5 when assessed across a variety of factors from price, extras, and discounts through to customer complaints, customer satisfaction, and ease of making a claim.
Erie Insurance: Discounts
Discounts offered by Erie include:
- Multiple cars
- Multiple policies
- Not taking car to college
- Safety course for under-21s
- Safety features
- Upfront payment
Erie Insurance: Complaints
This company attracts fewer complaints than you would expect for a company this size.
It would be a good idea to go check their BBB Complaints and other review websites before doing business with this company.
Erie Insurance: What Else?
Erie also offers home insurance and life insurance.
The website is responsive and allows you to manage your policy online, as well as filing a claim or finding a repair shop.
There is no mobile app available.
Here are some other types of insurance Erie provides:
- ATV insurance
- Boat insurance
- Business insurance
- Classic car insurance
- Condo insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Medicare supplement insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Erie Insurance: Pros and Cons
- Low volume of complaints
- Broad spread of perks and options
- Option to lock in rates
- Not available in most states
- No mobile app for policy management