Fred Loya Insurance Overview and Key Takeaways
Fred Loya Insurance is a specialist provider offering high-risk drivers the lowest legal amount of insurance cover. Owned and operated by the EP Loya Group, a Texas-based insurance provider, Fred Loya Insurance is marketed under several names including Loya Insurance Company, National Insurance, and Rodney D Young.
- Auto insurance for drivers unable to obtain cover elsewhere
- Large volume of complaints to state regulators
- Claim filing not always available
2.0 out of 5.0 stars
Fred Loya Insurance: Services
Fred Loya provides minimum insurance coverage. All policies come with liability, but everything else you want needs to be bundled.
Extra coverage could include:
- Gap coverage: If you crash your car and your collision damage doesn’t pay out enough, Fred Loya meets the difference with gap coverage
- Physical damage coverage: This add-on offers coverage against all damage from floods, collision, vandalism, or any other damage to your vehicle
- Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop
Fred Loya policies can typically be issued with no need for a credit check. SR-22 forms might be available.
You can’t get a quote online.
Fred Loya Insurance: Discounts
Discounts for auto insurance with Fred Loya include:
- Air bags
- Alcohol and drug awareness course
- Anti-theft devices
- Defensive driving course
- Driver’s education course
- Multiple cars
Fred Loya Insurance: Legal Issues
Loya Insurance Group has far more complaints made against it to state regulators than you would expect for a company of this size.
Most complaints over the past 3 years involved:
- Unsatisfactory offers and settlements
- Delays handling claims
- Claims being denied
The company has also faced a number of legal issues.
In 2012, Lota Insurance Group was fined $300,000 for conducting deceptive advertising campaign, and for charging excessive premiums.
In 2018, the company was found in violation of the law for failing to refund premiums in a timely fashion when policies were cancelled along with a range of other regulatory violations.
It would be a good idea to go check their BBB Complaints and other review websites before doing business with this company.
Fred Loya Insurance: What Else?
The company website is sparse. While you can access your policy online as an existing customer, that’s about all you can do. You cannot obtain a quote online.
Claims must be filed over the phone during office hours.
Coverage is limited to a handful of states.
Fred Loya Insurance: Pros and Cons
- Policies for high-risk drivers
- Complimentary rental rides
- The high number of complaints and legal issues
- Limited options for online account management
- Confusing language in policy documents
- Claim filing no available 24/7