In order for you to receive the highest refund possible, it is essential that all available tax deductions and credits are found. Thankfully, online and mobile tax apps make this a relatively speedy task.
Not only can these helpful programs provide details of applicable taxes reductions, but they also allow one the ability to track expenses and mileage too. While each app requires a similar amount of time for filing taxes, some include automated forms and offer real-time support which could speed up the entire process. Furthermore, there are even certain tax apps that permit access to an advance on your refund.
In order to identify the top tax apps, our team carefully evaluated 30 different choices based on features, cost, usability, and consumer feedback. In addition to comparing each one side by side, customer reviews also played a role in this ranking system.
- Best Overall: TaxAct Express
- Best for Business: QuickBooks Self-Employed
- Best for Live Support: H&R Block Tax Prep and File
- Best for Quick Filing: TurboTax Tax Return App
- Best for Ongoing Expense Tracking: YNAB
- Easily transferring last year’s tax data even though you used a different one.
- It’s the most comprehensive free option on the market.
- You have the ability to cover your filing fee with your refund.
- Tracking expenses are unavailable.
- Need to pay for state filing, even with the free package.
- The user interface isn’t as smooth as other tax apps.
Established in 1998 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, TaxAct offers tax preparation software that simplifies the e-filing process with its TaxAct Express app. It is accessible online and can be downloaded from both the App Store (4.4 stars) and the Google Play store (3.7 stars). People appreciate its cost-effective packages and being able to use their tax refund to pay for filing fees which makes it even more economical than other tax apps – hence why it was crowned our top pick.
TaxAct software offers great protection from costly mistakes – up to $100,000 of IRS penalties and interest will be reimbursed for an incorrect calculation. Furthermore, should you discover that a different product would provide a bigger refund, filing with TaxAct is without cost due to its Maximum Refund Guarantee.
The great thing about tax apps likeTaxAct is that even those who didn’t use it last year can upload their prior tax return as a PDF and have their information automatically imported.
- The use of uploading and syncing transactions can often lead to a duplication of data.
- Additionally, small banks or credit unions may not have the capability for such synchronization.
- Lastly, It doesn’t offer inventory tracking or payroll.
When it comes to accounting software, QuickBooks is an industry leader and its Self-Employed app makes life even easier. Connecting with TurboTax, this app allows users to keep tabs on their personal and professional expenses alike. Additionally, tracking mileage and invoicing are made simpler with this formidable financial helper. Truly a must for any business owner!
The app has received high ratings in both the App Store, with 4.7 stars, and the Google Play store with 3.7 stars. Additionally, one may access the software through its web interface as well. While some users have had issues when using the application, others greatly appreciate how they can track both personal and business expenses simultaneously via this single tool.
For business owners who have more extensive operations, tax apps like QuickBooks Online may be a more suitable option than QuickBooks Self-Employed since inventory tracking isn’t available in this version.
H&R Block Tax Prep and File
The advantages of using HR Block are numerous.
- Commencing at just $39.99, you have access to the help of tax experts, enrolled agents, and CPAs at all hours of the day during this taxing time.
- Not only that, but you can upload your documents and a tax professional will do your taxes for you with Tax Pro Go!
- Lastly, you are able to save receipts, returns, donations, and other tax documents.
- When compared to other apps, it is somewhat costly since you have to pay for Online Assist.
- No option to track spending.
- Also, Peace of Mind audit support only matters if H&R Block made the mistake.
Since 1955, the experts at the renowned tax preparation company, based in Kansas City, Missouri, have been providing individuals with tax filing solutions. Their latest offering is the cutting-edge app known as ‘HR Block Tax Prep and File’. It allows users to easily file their taxes themselves with assistance starting at $39.99; or alternatively avail of the services of a professional for more comprehensive help beginning at $49.
Download the app from the App Store (4.8 stars) or Google Play (4.5 stars). Can’t do that? Don’t worry, you can still use its convenient web interface to file your taxes.
Guarantees include the following:
H&R Block provides a unique guarantee to help you with taxes: Receive 20% off next year’s tax filing for complete transparency, free audit assistance, and a mid-year check-in review. To ensure the highest possible return, the Maximum Refund Guarantee guarantees that your filing is free should you obtain a higher refund elsewhere.
Not only that, but Audit Support Guarantee allows you to receive help in responding to an IRS notice without charge or purchase Worry-Free Audit Support for $19.99 when necessary. Finally, you can rest easy knowing that the 100% Accuracy Guarantee covers up to $10,000 in penalties and interest in the case of software error.
TurboTax Tax Return App
For those needing to file their taxes fast, tax apps like TurboTax are the ideal solution. Within three hours of your return being accepted by the IRS, you can get up to $4,000 as a refund advance. Plus, this service allows you to effortlessly auto-fill data just by taking a picture on your phone. It’s incredibly convenient and effortless!
Turbo Tax advantages:
- You can upload a photo of your W2, then the app automatically fills out all the relevant forms.
- In addition, Refund Advance holds up to $4,000 of your tax refund and you could have access within three hours of IRS approval.
- Furthermore, an Employer Identification Number allows you to auto-import your W2 data without having to take a photo.
Some of the drawbacks to using Turbo Tax are:
- It can be pricier than most tax applications when your taxes aren’t straightforward.
- Additionally, you will likely experience numerous attempts at an upsell while utilizing the program.
Intuit is the company behind TurboTax and they are renowned for their tax preparation solutions. With the TurboTax Tax Return App, filing taxes is fast and simple due to its auto-fill and auto-import functions – making it the perfect choice for those in a rush.
The app is available on both the Google Play store (with 4.7 stars) and App Store (4.8 stars). Although there’s also a web interface offered, uploading an image of your W2 allows the user to auto-fill important information. Unfortunately, many reviews have noted that the costs tend to increase more than expected, so it is strongly recommended that one closely inspects the pricing in order to understand which package will best suit their tax filing needs.
For those using the Free Edition of TurboTax (which caters to simple tax returns, not all taxpayers qualify), there is a maximum refund guarantee in place. Should you get a larger return with another application or suffer less of a financial burden, all relevant federal and state filing fees will be returned to you. Specifically for the Free Edition (which does not cover every taxpayer), $30 will be given back under the assurance of this guarantee.
TurboTax’s Refund Advance allows taxpayers to be given an advance as soon as three hours after the IRS accepts their return. This advance is a maximum of $4,000 with no loan fees and 0% APR. Alternatively, there is an option to pay for your taxes using your tax refund but this will incur a fee of $39.99. Other than that, you can always settle filing fees via credit card or checking account.
The advantages of YNAB are plentiful.
- It provides video tutorials and blog posts.
- It offers completely free online classes.
- Everything can be accessed through the app or your browser.
The disadvantages of using YNAB
- The learning process can be steep.
- There isn’t any built-in tax filing feature, instead requiring users to export a CSV file into an external tax filing software.
- You have to manually upload transactions if your bank isn’t supported.
Organizing your finances can be a daunting task, but it’s an important step to take when prepping for taxes. Setting up budgets using YNAB is a great way to start; by allocating income and expenses into different categories, filing taxes becomes much simpler. This system helps you avoid having to sift through paperwork or a box of receipts – ultimately providing an easier experience for yourself and your tax advisor!
YNAB is accessible through both an app and a web-based platform. Subscription options are $14.99 per month or $98.99 for a full year, and a 34-day trial can be taken advantage of as well. College students have the opportunity to get YNAB completely free for 12 months!
Rated highly across the board, the YNAB app has garnered 4.8 stars from the App Store and 3.1 stars through Google Play. With plenty of reviews discussing its learning curve, users still appreciate YNAB’s ability to help budget and track expenses.
For those seeking a quick and easy way to file taxes, mobile tax apps are the answer. Regardless of whether you have a complex tax situation or not, it is possible to take advantage of free options on many of these apps. TaxAct Express rises above the rest with its free package that offers reasonable filing fees plus the ability to pay for them when you get your return. Additionally, users can import data from their previous year’s taxes even when they used a different provider originally.
How Does a Mobile Tax App Work?
A mobile tax app typically uses a user-friendly interface to provide features related to tax preparation and management. Here are some common features that a mobile tax app may offer:
- Expense tracking: Allows users to keep track of their expenses and categorize them for tax purposes.
- Receipt scanning: Allows users to take a picture of a receipt and store it in the app for future reference.
- Tax calculation: Estimates the amount of tax an individual may owe based on their income and expenses.
- Tax form preparation: Allows users to complete and file their tax returns directly from their mobile devices.
- Tax document storage: Allows users to store and access important tax-related documents and information, such as W-2 forms, in one convenient location.
- Tax law updates: Keeps users up-to-date with the latest tax laws and regulations.
How the tax apps work depends on the specific app and its features, but the overall goal is to provide a convenient and accessible way for individuals to manage their tax-related tasks and information.
What tax app gets you the most money back?
In order to receive your maximum refund when filing taxes, be sure to take advantage of all deductions and tax credits available. These can range from the Earned Income Credit (EIC) and Child Tax Credit to the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction (HMID). Using software that offers a maximum refund guarantee is also helpful, as it will make the filing fee should your return end up larger than with alternative platforms.
What Happens After You File?
Submitting your taxes online via a tax app simplifies the process, and ensures that your return reaches the IRS quickly. Generally, it just takes a few hours or days for them to match your personal details with it. To check the status of your filing, you can use the IRS Where’s My Refund, this tool that usually returns results within 21 days; however, you can get it faster by opting in for direct deposit when possible. When owing money on taxes though, you have until April’s deadline to pay – unless you’ve filed an extension.
Do You Really Need A Tax App?
Mobile tax apps can be useful for individuals who are looking for a convenient and efficient way to manage their tax-related tasks and information. Some apps allow individuals to track their expenses, scan receipts, estimate taxes, and file their tax returns directly from their mobile devices. However, not everyone may require such features, and it ultimately depends on an individual’s tax-related needs and preferences.
How To Chose the Best Tax Apps
When choosing the best tax app, consider the following factors:
- User-friendly interface: Look for an app that is easy to navigate and understand.
- Accuracy: Ensure that the app has a good track record of accurately calculating taxes.
- Supported forms and tax situations: Check if the app supports the forms you need to file and if it can handle your specific tax situation (e.g. self-employed, rental property income, etc.).
- Price: Compare prices between different tax apps and choose one that fits your budget.
- Customer support: Consider the level of customer support offered by the app, such as email, phone, or live chat support.
- Security: Make sure the app uses secure encryption to protect your personal and financial information.
- Integration with other financial tools: If you use other financial tools, consider if the tax app integrates with them for ease of use.
Remember to research and compare several options before making a final decision.
Our research into the best tax apps available revealed 30 potential choices. After a thorough evaluation of their features, costs, user reviews, and ease of use, six emerged as the top options. These suitable solutions provided free versions for basic taxes as well as robust packages for more complex taxation needs.